Tuesday, November 8, 2011

WebLog-Week 1

I am from Suffolk, VA


  • I like to be called by my first name Karen



  • I graduated from John Yeates High School in Suffolk then went on to Roanoke Bible College in Elizabeth City, NC which is now called Mid-Atlantic Christian University.  I received my BS in Bible and Christian Ed.  I then went on to Norfolk State to get my teaching certificate.  I became certified in teaching prek-6th grade in 1999.  Currently I am teaching kindergarten.  I am in my 15th year of teaching and have taught everything from k-6th (excluding 4th)



  • I am interested in all kinds of sports.  I also love to read but rarely have time to do much lately.  I have traveled some when I was in college with a singing group and really miss the fun traveling on a bus for a week living in someone else's house each night.  I have also been on 3 cruises to the eastern and western carribean. 



  • I like to hear creative critisium but for someone to critisize me just because I do not know as much makes me just not want to say anything at all.
    I feel I am a very responsible person. I make sure I am always on time to class. I feel that it is very respectful to be considerate of other people's time. I do my best to make sure I do have all my assignments done to the best of my ability and on time. If there is some things that need to be done better I want to know what I can do to always make it better. I know I can not fix everything but I can always fix mistakes when others see I can do better. My best learning style is hands on. I learn best when I am hands on with my assignments and can see the outcome is beneficial. The first time I do when I do not understand something is ask my husband is he understands when is being asked or how he sees that something should be done. When he also does not understand I then go to the source for better guidance.
    I feel the most important technological invention was a camera. I love to look at pictures and take pictures. Pictures can tell all kinds of stories about people and the subjects being taken.
    The technologies that I currently believe to be essential are the computer, *cell phone, *car (auto car starter).
    When I leave school I do not leave technology. I use my cell phone, ipod, car with starter everyday until I fall asleep checking e-mail and doing social networking.
    Kids use the cell phone (texting) is so many wrong ways. The language and things that I read and see them doing online is very inappropriate. The media is always using their camera and computer to display other people's lives most of the time in a negative way.
  • 3 comments:

    1. John Yeates was a high school? I kid, I kid...

      Good post. I think that is cool that you went with the camera as the most important technological invention. And I'm sure you have plenty of pictures to take with those three busy children.

      ReplyDelete
    2. Karen I really enjoyed reading your post and learning a little more about you. Going with the camera that is interesting I didn't even think about the camera.

      ReplyDelete
    3. Yes Karen, I agree that a lot of teachers do not leave technology at work. I have the same pieces of technology devices such as the cell phone and ipod. If I leave my cell phone at home, I feel lost. Yes, technology has taken over the world especially in the classroom. Most students cannot stay away from a computer especially the preschool students I teach.

      ReplyDelete